Buying a car for the first time can be a confusing and daunting experience. You need to know where to buy, what to look for, questions to ask etc. Below is a guide to help make the buying process an easier and enjoyable one.
Things to look for when buying a car for the first time
1. Budget- It is important to have a budget before going car shopping. Think about how much you can afford to spend on the new car after deducting your taxes, bills and other expenses. Make your choice depending on the amount of money you have for a down payment and your ability to make down payments every month. Doing research will can help find a good car within your budget
2. How to finance the purchase- The good news about buying a car nowadays is that dealers offer a variety of payment options to choose from. Some of the options to consider include
· Taking out a loan-You can take a loan with your bank to finance your car. When you take out a loan, the bank will pay the whole amount and come up with an agreeable payment option for you to pay the loan over a period of time
· Hire purchase- This is where you make a down payment for the car and consequent monthly repayments until the whole amount is fully paid. You are able to take the car with you after the down payment
· Cash payment- You can buy the car on cash if you have big savings stored somewhere
3. Type of car to choose-Once you have set a realistic budget and have decided how to finance your car, the next step is to choose a car that fits your budget and needs. Do research online; ask friends and loved ones for advice about the best car that fits your budget. Before making a final decision, doing a test drive is necessary, as it will help you determine how the car works and if there are any problems. Take note of the mileage, lights, breaks, gears etc. The drive should be smooth and enjoyable. One of the benefits of buying used is that you have a wide selection to look from at affordable prices, from brands like mercedes, audi, and bmw.
4. Repairs and servicing- Regular repairs and servicing are important to keep you car in top shape, with a new car needing less maintenance than a used car. Most cars will require annual maintenance. You will also need to budget for gas and insurance. The law requires that all cars have auto insurance. Every state is different, find out what your state requires, and take out the relevant insurance. Do your homework and find out the best insurance cover for your car.
5. Buying new Vs Old- There are both pros and cons to buying a used or a new car. A new car has not been used before and is likely to require less servicing, while a used car is cheaper than a newer car. It is up to you to weigh the pros and decide accordingly.
6. Where to buy your car- You have a number of options when it comes to buying your car. You can buy your car from a dealership, shop online, or buy from a private party. Regardless of the option you choose, its always a good idea to visit your nearest dealership to test drive the car you want to buy. Once you have narrowed down your options, you can get quotes from different online dealers and negotiate for the best deal.
Knowledge is power, if a friend or loved has a particular type of car you like, you can ask for their opinion and advice. In addition, do thorough research to ensure you are equipped with important information before you head out to shop for a car as a first timer.